Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another ultrasound

We had another ultrasound today. I've had so many now that I've lost count. It's been 3 weeks since the last reading and I am at 27 weeks gestation now. He weighed in a 2 lbs, 12 oz today.

So...No miraculous news to report. The ventricles in the brain are still measuring much larger than a normal baby. For comparison, his head circumference and diameter are measuring between 30 and 32 weeks, compared to the rest of his body which is growing just fine at 27 weeks. So his head is in the 90th percentile, compared to everything else which is just average.

A different perinatologist (fetal doctor) talked to us today and she was at least helpful in explaining what we're looking at. She was also more hopeful than the others, noting that the size of his head is about stable (in relation to his body) compared to last time. So while the hydrocephalus hasn't decreased or resolved, at least it doesn't seem to have grown exponentially in the last 3 weeks. She recommended another ultrasound in 4 weeks, since at this point more information won't really change the plan very much. But then after that, it will likely be every 2 weeks, then weekly as delivery gets closer.

She also mentioned it will be time to start thinking about a birth plan, which again, will likely include C-section as a strong possibility. We meet with the OB ARNP next week and will start asking those questions. We also signed up for birthing classes, although they don't start until April 1st.

The doctor also reiterated that we really won't know about any kind of developmental issues until he is born. That's really the worst part of all of this. But I reminded myself that, even if he was a healthy, normal baby, parents always worry and wonder about what their child will be like. We just have some added concerns.

Next on the horizon is the regular OB appointment (also moving to every 2 weeks after this), then the meeting with the pediatric neurosurgeon on March 8th. We'll be writing down questions for him in the next couple of weeks so we can be prepared. I get the impression that it's not often that he counsels unborn patients.

We will try to focus on the positive: the rest of his body is growing strong and at a normal pace. His heart is beating well. He's continuing to kick and move around. We have friends planning baby showers.

That's a long post for not really much news. The wait continues and at times, it feels like the next 3 months will be the longest. Please continue to pray with us during these next few weeks and months.

Thank you for your love and support!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Still waiting...

Several of you have asked how things are going and if there's any new news. Well, nothing new to report as of yet. Our next ultrasound is Tuesday 2/16, so we'll see how things are going then. You can be praying for an optimistic outcome then.

We also made a consult appointment with a pediatric neurosurgeon, who we'll see in March. We just want to know what kind of procedures we're looking at, if there's anything else we can do before he's born, and a bit more of what to expect when he's born. Like will he be whisked away to surgery immediately after birth? Or can we wait a few days? Will he have to stay in the NICU? All of these are possibilities and we may not know any of it until it actually happens. But we feel like the more prepared we can be, the better.

We continue to work on getting things ready for the baby's room, slowly but surely. I'm excited to be working with some friends who are hosting baby showers for us too. It really helps to focus on the normal stuff in getting ready for a baby. He is also definitely rounding out Annie's figure and providing constant reminders of his presence in flutters and jabs, which Matt can even feel in the middle of the night sometimes. That part is fun.

We promise to post more news after the ultrasound next week. As always, we appreciate your prayers and support through all of this. We couldn't do it without you!