Monday, January 25, 2010

Ultrasound Update #2

The last 3 weeks have flown by as we dove back into daily life and planning after the holidays. We even got to go on short cruise to Mexico and spend some much needed relaxation time together.

We had another ultrasound today to measure his head size and the growth of the ventricles. Unfortunately, the ventricles keep growing, so the hydrocephalus has not resolved. They are actually 2x or more than the size they should be. :( Another way of putting it: I am 24 weeks pregnant, but his head his measuring like that of a 26-27 week old.

So we are not out of the woods yet. We'll have another ultrasound in 3 weeks and continue to keep an eye on him. The real risk at this point is that the the growing ventricles could get in the way of the normal brain tissues surrounding them. Fortunately, everything else is growing strong and he is kicking like crazy. Also, if his head gets too big, I could need to have a c-section too.

Our worries have gone by the wayside, for the most part (that's another answer to prayer!) however today's news brings us back to the reality of what this little boy could grow up to be.

We remain in prayer for resolution of this issue and continue to trust God for his wisdom and plan. Thank you for all of your encouragement and prayer over the last several weeks. We've still got about 4 months to go, so don't stop now! We deeply appreciate you!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Good News!

We got the full results of the amniocentesis today (well, as much as can be left on a voicemail). The great news is that they found no abnormal genetic markers and no infectious causes! That's pretty much the best news yet!

There is still the possibility of a rare genetically linked cause, but they don't test for that routinely. We may opt to have that done (if our insurance company approves it). But even if that test was positive, then 50% of the babies do just fine and the other 50% have pretty severe issues. We won't know any of that until he's born anyway. It would also tell us if I was a carrier, which could put future baby boys at risk.

Anyway, praise God for answered prayers so far! We'll continue to pray for the hydrocephalus to resolve on it's own, or at least stay the same.


Monday, January 4, 2010

Ultrasound Update

We had a follow-up ultrasound today, 2 weeks after the diagnosis. Not much new news to post, but here's what we know now:
  • Weight up to 15 ounces (gained 5 ounces in 2 weeks!), which is in the 59th percentile.
  • The ventricles (where the fluid collects in the brain) are just slightly larger today.
  • Preliminary genetic screen from the amniocentesis shows no down syndrome or trisomy 13 or 18 (fatal defects).

So he is growing quickly and is strong otherwise. And we are thankful that the initial genetic screen is negative.

The next ultrasound is in 3 weeks, but we hope to get the full amniocentesis report in the next week or so.

The initial shock and worry has subsided and day to day life goes on (Matt on the ski slopes and Annie back at work). As we speak, Matt is laughing hysterically while leading the cats around with a laser pointer. Any kind of distraction is a good one at this point. Look out Phoebe and Jack!

We've begun planning the nursery and will soon be registering for all the other baby paraphenalia we'll be needing in a few short months.

In the downtime and until we find out more, we will continue to pray. We are so thankful for your support in prayer and encouraging words by email and phone calls. Please continue to join us in prayer for our son's health and growth, for the hydrocephalus to resolve, and for us as we face the waiting and the unknown. And praise God for Annie's health after the amniocentesis and for a negative initial genetic screen!

We'll post more info as we have it!

Love, Annie & Matt


Hello friends and family!
We're going to try this for updates on our pre-natal life and our son's progress. For those of you just joining our story, here's a little background:

Our baby BOY is due in mid-May! That means we are almost half way through the pregnancy.

On our last ultrasound (where HE announced himself) Dec. 21st, we also found out he has a condition called hydrocephalus, which means too much fluid building up in the brain. There are many causes of this condition which occurs in about 1 in 2000 births and is more common in boys than girls. The spectrum of outcomes is anything from absolutely normal development to, well, severe mental retardation or death. Very scary...

Next steps:
  • Amniocentesis to try to determine the cause (genetic or infection). This was done on Dec. 28th and the results will take 1-2 weeks to get back.
  • Monitor with ultrasound every 2-3 weeks until delivery.

Really all we can do at this point is pray for the best outcome--that this issue will resolve on its own and that our baby will be completely healthy. For those of you who are inclined to pray, please pray for us:

  • for the best outcome--no genetic defects and for the hydrocephalus to resolve
  • patience and peace during the waiting time
  • trust in God's plan and timing
  • to grow in love for our baby boy, no matter what the outcome

Thank you for standing with use in prayer and for your support!